Monday, July 2, 2012

Chicks, man!


For a long time I've wanted to have my own chickens as egg layers, and on May 25, these five little Barred Rock girls arrived. It's been quite an adventured caring for them, and now they are all of 5 weeks old and last night, they moved outside into their coop. JD has been building it for weeks.


And here they are this morning in their coop. Can you believe how fast they grow? From what I understand, Barred Rock hens will grow to be about 7 to 8 pounds, so they will be big chickens that lay brown eggs. We'll have to wait until about October for that.

Their names are going to be Maggie, Maizy, Mabel, Fiona and Sadie. So far, I can only tell Maggie and Maizy apart, and maybe Mabel. I think I'm going to need a web cam to show them off, don't you think?

The horses are doing great. I took Sailor to a Tom Curtin horsemanship clinic, and we made great strides together. I'm back to riding her on the road, and my confidence level with her has gone way up. Titan is himself, which is my good old steady eddie. So now I have 2 good trail horses, which is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment