Sunday, January 18, 2009

More snow




Well, the good news is that the temperature finally warmed up a bit. We hit a balmy 28 degrees this afternoon, making it feel almost like spring after the sub-zero weather of the past week. But the bad news is that we got more snow, so I didn't go anywhere today. Tomorrow there are more flurries on the way, but I hope it will be driveable because I'm thinking of going to Albany to visit my mom, who is in an assisted living facility there.

The cats, Lacey and Freya, are going crazy from being house-bound. They have not wanted to go outdoors for most of the past week because of the extreme temperatures. So they are bored out of their minds, chasing each other around, searching out long-lost cat toys, and yelling at me to do something for their entertainment. So much for barn cats! Lacey is Freya's mom. In April 2007, Lacey gave birth to 4 kittens in our hayloft. I discovered them when they were about a week old, and Lacey was starving. So I brought her food and water, and made a box bed for the little family. For this kindness, Lacey has bonded with me and is stuck to me like glue. I convinced JD to let me keep Freya and her mom (both have been spayed) and found good homes for the remaining kittens.

The plan was to have 2 good mousers. We already knew that Lacey had great talent in this area because she had cleaned out our barn of all the mice that had plagued us. Alas, things have not worked out quite as well. Lacey has taken to living the good life as a kept cat, and only hunts for amusement now. She is no longer skin and bones, thankfully, but has filled out to be a full-figured lady. With her long hair, she's quite a commanding presence. So I was hoping Freya would take up the slack as mouser #2, but she finds it too convenient to attack the birds who hang outside our back door on their way to the bird feeder. Yesterday she brought a bird into the house, and it was quite a sight - me and 2 cats all trying to be the first to capture the poor scared thing, which was flying into the windows trying to escape. I finally prevailed, and after checking it over, released it back outside. Meanwhile, this afternoon I found a dead mouse out in the trap in the tack room. So our cats are not earning their keep, and the bird population is literally looking over its shoulder at the feeder, waiting for the next terrorist attack. So much for my great plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment