Monday, April 20, 2009

Still living at the hospital

Well, it's April 20, and unbelievably, my mom is still in the hospital. It has been such a roller coaster ride. The day of my last post, the doctor tried a new med, zyprexa, and she was out, unconscious for a full 2 days. So no more of those anti-psychotic meds. She has had good days, and some really bad ones, like today. But overall, she is walking like crazy, eating well, and attending to her personal needs herself. I think the stress of being in the hospital for so long is making her very antsy, and causing acting-out behavior. Her anxiety really increases by late afternoon. She can be coherent, in the here and now, but a few minutes later be convinced it's 20 years ago, or that we are at a party. Today she thought she went to a wake. The assisted living facility she had been living at came to evaluate her last week and said she was fine to return. But the director (who is a sick b**tch) sent an evaluation to the hospital saying mom needed full nursing care. It's obvious they didn't want her back and didn't have the guts to say so. We have refused to pay them any money for April, because 1) mom wasn't there; and 2) they basically threw her out.
So today my brother and I went to look at a nice "memory care" facility that specializes in dementia. It's beautiful, and offers so much more than where she was staying, and the staff understands the needs of someone like this and how to deal with them. We still have to check out a couple other places, but I was very impressed with the one we saw today, and it is very centrally located for family and friends.

Somehow I have managed to work through this (going to hospital in Saratoga, 45 minute drive, every day), but I am very behind in my work. Just a little more stress for the pile! I am so looking forward to the day when my biggest worry is what I am going to wear to work.

1 comment:

  1. You have my sympathy - this can be so difficult. I hope you manage to find the right place to care for your mother - the memory facility sounds hopeful - at least they know how to care for issues like this.

    ReplyDelete