Saturday, August 1, 2009

What a turkey!



We have a large flock of turkeys living in the woods behind my house. There are 3 adult females and 15 babies. They have been hanging around the horse paddocks (they eat manure, I'm told), but the other day, one brave female came up right behind the house. I looked out the window and first saw my cat Lacey, laying down very flat in the grass. I couldn't imagine what she was doing, and then I saw the turkey walking by, doing her turkey walk very slowly. The tip of Lacey's tale was twitching, and I yelled through the window to try and get her attention, so she wouldn't attack the bird. Then the turkey walked under the fence and down into the paddock. Talk about a strange encounter!

2 comments:

  1. Just what do you suppose Lacey was thinking??? Turkey dinner? My goodness, she is ambitious, that's for sure.

    Six turkeys are regulars in my yard, now, eating the bird feed at the feeder. Actually, since ticks are one of their favorite foods, I am delighted to have them here. They spend lots of time browsing and pecking around the lawn, paddocks and pasture. I'll have to keep my eye on them in case the tom tries to get aggressive, but I'll just be careful.

    Hope your trip to look at the free horse goes well. It would be nice for him to get a good home with a job to do in a lesson program.

    I don't know what the rainfall was here in Central Jersey, but I'd wager we too are way over the norm. Wish it would stop for a while to let things dry out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that turkeys like to eat ticks. We could keep them fed for years!

    ReplyDelete