Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Preparing for a sad event


It's finally springtime, and the horses have new green pasture upon which to graze. But the joy of spring is overwhelmed by what I must do quite soon. Noble took a turn for the worse over the weekend, and is having significant difficulty moving her legs. The vet came out on Sunday, and said her circulation is poor, meaning her heart is failing. So I am in the terrible position of having to plan her passing. I want to bury her on our property, and it would be much easier if all the plans are in place before she goes down and can't get up.

We have some logistical issues with fencing and gates that I hope can be dealt with. Much of our property is on bedrock, but I think I have located a spot where the excavator will be able to dig. Making these phone calls makes the whole thing so real, it's hard for me to even process. But she is 31 years old, and has led a full, good life. Buying this place was my gift to her, so she could live out her final years in peace and dignity. She has had that.

As my first horse, Noble means more to me than I can express. The best way to explain it is that she gave me my childhood dream of having my own horse. Through much of my adulthood, I had resigned myself to the fact that this would remain a dream. Noble gave that dream wings, and we had adventures together that will forever remain part of me.

Please think of me as I go through this process. I know it is part of what we sign on for when we assume the care of animals. But saying goodbye to my partner is proving to be one of the most challenging trials of my life.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sad to hear that, but one of the greatest gifts we can give our animals is to not allow them to suffer and to ease their passing when it's time. I went through the same thing with my own Noble last summer, so my heart is with you.

    ReplyDelete