Friday, December 30, 2011

A tumultuous year


Top: Noble
Bottom: Titan & Linda

As 2011 winds to a close, I need to reflect on the major changes in my life.
First, I said good-bye to my 13-year partner - my first horse - Noble, who passed away on May 5. This was a heart-wrenching decision, but she was in extreme pain and her heart was failing. Being able to orchestrate her passing helped. Her entire family and even some close neighbors were with her, and I was able to spend time with her after she was gone. We led Sailor to Noble's body so she could examine it, and it was touching to watch her check her friend so gently and thoroughly. Because Sailor was allowed to draw her own conclusions, she did not panic or get distressed at the loss of her friend. All in all, it went as well as something like this can, and I am comforted in the knowledge that Noble had a good death. She is buried on our property, the land that is her namesake, where I know she runs free for eternity.
I spent the next 2 months training Sailor and riding her about 4 times a week, and she was coming along beautifully. Just as I realized that her training was where I wanted it to be , she was injured in a very routine round pen exercise. She was laid up until September. That was the end of my summer riding.
With Sailor on stall rest, I couldn't bring in another horse and risk getting her all riled up. After she seemed mostly recovered in mid-September, I began my search.
It was a discouraging and often frustrating experience. Most of the horses in my price range were basically untrained, or needed extensive work. I found one I liked, then the owners reneged on selling her. I made an offer on a very nice gelding (whose price was listed as negotiable) only to be told that the asking price was firm.
Just as I was about to give up, I got a phone call from someone who knew I was looking for a nice, settled trail horse. She told me about a man who just returned to the area from down south, and who was selling all his horses because he was getting on in years. He had one left - a Paint gelding who was his wife's trail horse for the past 13 years.
The first time I rode Titan, I could tell he was a very 'zen' horse. Even the noise of trucks and heavy equipment nearby didn't fluster him. He just exuded confidence and serenity. I called the owner that night to say I would buy him.
So Titan has been living here since Oct. 29. We had a long stretch of warm late fall weather, so I've had a chance to ride him many times. He's the easiest horse I've ever had - I just go out to the pasture, and he comes to me to be tacked up. It's been a wonderful experience with him so far. There's a part of me that thinks Noble found him for me. And if I hadn't waited, I wouldn't have purchased him, because until 2 weeks prior to trying him out, he was in South Carolina. The strangest thing is, he looks much like Noble - a sorrel horse with a white blaze. Only Titan, at 16 hands, is much taller.
So life goes on, as does my horse adventure. I'm looking forward what 2012 has to show me!

1 comment:

  1. I was so sorry to read of Noble's illness, and I am sorry for your loss of a wonderful horse friend. Titan looks like a fine horse and just the one for you at this time - hope to hear more about him this year, and hope that Sailor is doing OK. Best to all of you in 2012.

    ReplyDelete