Monday, May 18, 2009

It gets worse

Since my last entry, things have gone totally downhill with my mom. The Tuesday after Mother's Day, she bit a staff member at assisted living, and we were told we had to get her out that day. I found a very nice private home (state licensed) that would take her. The first day wasn't too bad, but the second day she became so violent and out of control the woman had no choice but to bring her to the ER at a local hospital. She is still there, and constantly medicated to the point of being bedridden so she is not combative. It is a pitiful sight, she is barely conscious, unable to feed herself, and tied to the bed. I cannot believe this has happened in a matter of weeks. Her insurance company is refusing to pay for her hospital admission, saying she doesn't need the care. We cannot find a nursing home that will take her with her severe dementia issues. This is a nightmare that doesn't end. Fortunately, she has a DNR order. I am at the point where death would be kinder than the existence that she has been sentenced to. For a woman who spent her entire life giving to others, this is a cruel way to finish her final years.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your difficulties. The only thing I can suggest is to get a geriatric care manager - one of their skills is arranging suitable placements in cases like your mother's. Go to caremanager.org - the National Assoc. of Geriatric Care Managers - and enter your zip code. They aren't cheap and charge by the hour, but they can be a lifesaver - I know this from personal experience. Your town or county may also have an Elder Affairs person who can be of assistance. Good luck, and please keep us posted on what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry. I have no ideas to help out. It is a tragic situation for you and your beloved mother.

    Hopefully some of Kate's suggestions may help. Surely there are people out there equipped and experienced at handling this illness.

    And damn the insurance company. They have no right to determine what is best for anyone's care.

    I will pray it all works out for you. I don't know what else to do except send my love.

    ReplyDelete