Tuesday, May 26, 2009

No change

Wish I had better news to report. My mother continues to decline. She is still in the hospital, awaiting nursing home placement. I was told today by an elder care manager that the only places that will take someon as severe as she is are in Massachusetts. The one place that has said they can take her is in Pittsfield, MA, about 1 1/2 hr. from me. But they do not have a bed for her. I cannot bear to see her suffer like this. If she is awake, she is agitated and fearful. Now she has started crying unconsolably for no reason. Because the insurance company is still refusing to pay the hospital, they don't seem motivated to try and help her. The have a geriatric psychiatry unit (where she should be) but they won't move her there. We changed her insurance to a better plan, but that doesn't take effect until June 1. It's hard enough to see your mom suffer like this, but having a bureaucracy working against you makes it even worse. My brother and I are emotionally and psychologically exhausted. It's like the past 2 months have been one long emergency that never ends. It's getting hard to go on (and really hard to stay focused at work), but we don't have any choice.

2 comments:

  1. My greatest sympathy - I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my, I am so sorry. One would think in this country there would be better help for someone in you position, especially since it's clear you love your mother and want to get the best care possible for her.

    My prayers for you all.

    ReplyDelete