Thursday, July 23, 2009

It's always something

So we just get our hay put up, and I'm feeling pretty smug about things. I'm planning our next home improvement (front porch) and what to our wondering eyes does appear but nasty fluid bubbling up from the ground in one of the paddocks. Yup, that's where the leach field is. So we have a pretty serious septic system problem. Yesterday JD dug a hole behind the house, and pretty quickly found the septic tank cover. Now he just has to call to get someone to come and pump it out. He spoke to a friend that's a civil engineer, who thinks that the break the leach field will get when the tank is empty might help rectify things. Let's hope. We would have to take down horse fence to install a whole new leach field, and it would be very expensive. Ugh. I'm just trying to be optimistic, and not paranoid every time I flush the toilet. Country life!

3 comments:

  1. I'm lucky - we're on sewer now, which is much easier. But I remember the days of septic systems when I lived near Boston - the rules were tough and I think every house we lived in required major septic work. I hope your leach field recovers its abilities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, the septic tank. I do get mine pumped out, so, so far, OK. People who have never lived with "country plumbing" have absolutely no idea of the concerns. Around here, we had always be cautious with water use and flushing. *sigh*

    Hope the pump out solves your problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your septic problem. Ugh. We have ours done regularly and so far so good. Knock wood.

    ReplyDelete