Thursday, March 12, 2009

Thanks!

Thanks to one and all for your thoughtful comments on my situation with Sailor. Basically the situation is this: last year, she threw me on 2 occasions, both times uncalled for. The first time she was upset because we had ridden back home, away from a yearling colt she wanted to visit with (we were just riding in my arena, when she suddenly blew up. I bailed, and she ran back down the road to her honey). Second time we (and other riders) got caught in a cloud of deer flies. Obviously it was distressing. Her headshaking (and she was wearing a bonnet) kept getting more violent, then suddenly turned to a massive buck. And I was airborne. She ran into some nearby woods, where her best buddy horse had just walked into. When she gets flustered, her brain just shuts down.
Part of the problem is no consistent work. When I got her back from training a couple of years ago, she was the perfect horse. No issues whatsoever. But after a winter layoff, she was back to square one. With consistent work several times a week, she is an amazing and pleasureable horse to ride. But unfortunately, my life does not allow for that. I really need a horse (like Noble) that will always be ready to ride, even if it's been a couple of months. Sailor has a very sweet personality, but she needs someone who will keep her in consistent work. She also needs a stronger leader than I am.

2 comments:

  1. Gotcha! And all good reasons to find her a new home. My guy bucked me off in the woods because of one of those huge (B52) horse flies, so my heart goes out to you.

    An unpredictable horse is no fun unless you, as a rider like the added excitement--I don't!! Fortunately, my Boy has settled down quite a bit. (Especially after I treated him for ulcers...)

    It sounds to me as if you have made up your mind, and I give you all the support I can offer. You need a horse you can enjoy and relax with instead of spending all your time on guard worrying about what Sailor might do next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll agree with Jean....

    hard times at the moment, but maybe the people who trained sailor will know someone who will suit for her?

    ReplyDelete