Monday, March 23, 2009

Way too cold!

Today was way too cold for March 23. It was 16F degrees at 7:30 when I went out to feed the horses. Yikes! And there's been a strong north wind all day, just making things lovely. The horses have their winter blankets on. But it's going to get warmer starting tomorrow, so there's relief in sight.

To clarify yesterday's post (sorry Claire in the UK), my alma mater, Siena College, was playing in the national college basketball championships. NCAA is the National Collegiate Athletic Association, and this tournament is nicknamed "March Madness" here in the States. It is a very big deal, and many people (including Pres. Obama) follow the games religiously. For the sports-minded, it's all that people are talking about these days. It's a big accomplishment for a school (especially a small school) to even make it to the tournament. So that explains my little bragging session yesterday.

Back to horse stuff, I'm starting to browse horse sites to see what's for sale out there. I've decided a need solid horse that will always be ready to go, with no spookiness or issues. Noble is like that, but she's 29, so I can't work her too hard. I need a younger version of her, nothing fancy, just a sane, reliable mount who will take care of me.

5 comments:

  1. Good going for your alma mater. I must admit I haven't been following it much. Rutgers women are playing again tonight. (I am a Rugters/Douglass graduate) I'm not planning on watching the game.

    Good luck with the horse search. I lucked out when I adopted Chance becuase he so far seems to be a good solid fellow with very little spook. A good horse for me as I age. (thinking of myself as fine wine. *S*)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your horse search - there are lots of good horses available right now so you should have many to choose from.

    I have an unfortunate tendency to prefer "hotter" horses - I'll need to outgrow that as I get older! Even my old guy Noble is pretty excitable at his age (almost 29).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry it's so cold!! The winds were high here today too!! It reminded me of hurricane season.....Very windy.

    Horse shopping is so much fun. I am a bit obsessed with it. I can look at horse ads all day long. I love those "steady" older horses. I have one 15 yr. old mare that I wouldn't trade for the world. And I found a 20 year old gelding for my kids to ride at the sale barn. I couldn't believe someone would send such a great gelding to the sale barn. I was lucky to find him.

    Over at Adventures of a Horse crazed Mind, she started a new horse sales blog. She looks at horses for sale almost everyday.

    I wish you luck on your horse searching, and let us know when you find a good ad or one you might go look at!! Horse shopping is so much fun!!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck finding another perfect horse to ride. They are rare. Noble sounds wonderful. I'm still waiting for this wind to stop it makes it twice as cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Horse shopping, how fun!!!

    I've enjoyed your blog. What a beautiful place you live in, my dad lives in Grafton, VT.

    ReplyDelete