Wednesday, March 11, 2009

You're tuned to WMUD - All mud, all the time

So mud season is officially upon us. All I can say is thank god for muck boots. Without my trusty muck boots, there is no way I would go out in that oozy, fetid, cesspool of ankle-deep mud and manure. I feel bad putting the horses out in it, but there is no choice. At least when they leave the small paddock behind the barn, they can get to some areas that aren't as deep in mud. Right now the wind is blowing like crazy, so maybe it will wick some of the moisture out of the ground. Let's hope - because the temperature is dropping into the 20s tonight so any water out there will freeze. Is there any end to this?

I had a good conversation with my farrier the other day about my future (or maybe not) with Sailor. I'm seriously considering looking for another horse, one I know that I can depend on and will take care of me in my old age. However, I am committed to finding the right home for Sailor, where I know she will be well cared for. This is a scary thing for me to contemplate, because I am very fond of Sailor, who is sweet, but I know that I am not a confident enough rider to give her the confidence she needs to keep us both safe. I guess that's why my relationship with Noble has worked for almost 12 years: she's an alpha mare, super-confident, and just assumes she has to take care of things because I'm useless. While that's made for some arguments, when push comes to shove, she always does the right thing and never endangers me. Unfortunately, Sailor thinks of herself first. Anybody else have some thoughts on this process?

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the mud - but at this point I consider it (when unfrozen) a sign of spring!
    On Sailor, if you want to find her another home, what sort of person would be a good fit? What does Sailor know/not know?
    I haven't sold a horse in years (that's why I have so many!), so I'm not much help on that front.
    Keep us posted on your thoughts/progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, I can so relate to the mud issue! After two feet of snow in December and more rain and snow off and on since then, the pastures can't recover. Like your horses, ours have areas they can get out of it and it's really not too deep, but I hate it!
    Sorry to hear about your mare. I haven't been in that situation. I think as much as we love our horses, we also have to realize that they might not turn out to be the best fit with our personalities, and in that case, it's best they find their perfect match. I suppose it's safest for everyone involved, although not always an easy decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard to say about Sailor, but if you don't get along well with her personality, you might be better off with a different horse. It all depends on just how much you want to put up with, and how willing you are to compromise with her.

    I have a bit of a relationship like that with Tucker who has his own opinion about things. Because he is nearly 17h and a Thoroughbred I don't feel really confident about arguing with him. So when push comes to shove, I tend to go around the issue and find an alternate way to get him to work with me. (With me, not always for me.)

    But I have sort of vowed to take on every horse I've ever owned for life, so I am willing to adapt. Were my goals to be a successful competitor, he would not be a good horse for me at all.

    So, sort through your goals. Consider how you really want to ride. Think about what you need from a horse. Then make your decision about Sailor. Do what is right for you and you will be doing what is right for her.

    ReplyDelete