Friday, February 27, 2009

Rain and more rain

When I fed the horses this morning, it was sunny and there was still snow on the ground. But the temperature went up to about 50, and by afternoon it was raining. Tonight when I got home and opened the back door of the barn, the sight stopped me in my tracks. With the snow melted, all that remains is various decaying stages of manure. Absolutely hideous, especially as it is mixing with mud. The snow just outside the back door of the barn has compacted into an ice shelf about 3-4" thick. The only thing that keeps me from going flying is the manure that is impregnated in it. Thank god for muck boots! I fed the horses dinner in the run-in shed, and they miraculously went in. Actually, there was quite a bit of manure in there, so I think they figured out it was more pleasant to be under cover. I'll bring them in a little early tonight and take off their wet sheets. They stay amazing dry under the sheets, but their heads and necks will be soaked. Because it's going down into the 20s tonight (crazy weather) I'll have to put winter blankets back on. Is it spring yet?

2 comments:

  1. We had the same yucky stuff yesterday, and now it's in the 20s with wind chills in the single digits. Same for the rest of the weekend - but back to the 30s next week. At least the birds are singing and there's more sun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are rid of the snow for the time being, thank goodness. BUT, now the forecast is calling for a snowstorm to come through Sunday night!! Just when I thought maybe Spring was springing, this has to happen. (Central New Jersey)

    Guess I need to go out today and clean up as much as I can in anticipation. It is just too disgusting to contemplate at the moment. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete